This week on the show, I’m bringing you yet another treasure from the vault – my Season 1 conversation with Drew Slack, where we talked about his journey from his PhD in pharmacology to his current career in the medical regulatory space.
This is a special episode for me, because of the energy of this conversation and because it was the first interview where I let go of my list of questions and allowed the conversation to flow freely, based on what Drew had to share.
I consider it a gold nugget from the vault and I hope you will enjoy it as I do.
What you’ll learn about in this episode:
- Everyone is subject to sudden changes coming from external factors, such as the abrupt cancellation of a grant program
- The importance of physical activity and community outside your research as a graduate student and as a postdoc
- The regulatory domain as a career outlet for PhDs in the life sciences
- How to rebrand yourself when interviewing for a non-academic position
- How informational interviews can help you navigate the hiring process for jobs in governmental organizations
- Moving laterally inside an organization to reach a position that fits you best
- How your hobby or your side-gig can shape your professional future and have a tangible impact on your career opportunities
- The importance of committing a portion of your time to you and your own personal and professional development
Drew Slack is an experienced Medical Affairs Director with accomplished career history in the biotechnology and health regulatory sectors. Skilled in Oncology, Molecular Biology, Biotechnology, Management, and Clinical Research. Scientific professional with Postdoctoral experience in Translational & Clinical Oncology Research, with Ph.D. focused in Molecular Pharmacology and Oncology from McGill University.
As always, if you find value in Papa PhD and in the content I bring you every week, click on one of the buttons below and leave a review or donate on PayPal – you’ll be helping the show stay alive 🙂
Thank you, Drew Slack!
If you enjoyed this interview with Drew, let them know by clicking the link below and leaving them a message on LinkedIn:
This episode’s resources:
While you’re here, I’ll take the opportunity to let you know that Papa PhD has joined the Podcasting 2.0 initiative and is now set up to receive boosts from you, the listener! A boost is a value for value (V4V) contribution in Satoshis (or Sats), the smallest existing Bitcoin denomination.
All received boosts will get a shoutout on the show, in appreciation for your support.
Please check out the Fountain Podcast App that supports Podcast 2.0 initiatives and boost the show .
Send a Sticker Get a Sticker: Send me your show sticker, and I will send you a Papa PhD Sticker. I’d love to have a wall of podfriend stickers!